[mythtv-users] Proof of Concept a success!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:24:48 UTC 2007

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:41 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > I would suggest using the 1GB RAM on the frontend, especially for
> > HDTV, and as the backend doesn't require as much and can get along
> > fine with using swap space.
> As with everything - it depends.
> If you are doing a lot of commflagging, transcoding, DVD burning with
> MythBurn or MythArchive, or software encoding then I would put the
> RAM into the backend. If all the B/E is doing is running mysql and
> recording pre-encoded video then how much RAM it has is far less
> important.
> About the only thing a F/E need RAM for, as you pointed out, is
> decoding, especially HD.

I find the menu system at higher resolutions, especially for the nicer
themes, requires more RAM, and that the overall responsiveness
increases with more RAM. I also think the backend can get away with
swap space for a lot of those tasks.

> But honestly, building any machine other than a NAS device or perhaps
> a file/print or even a mail server with less than 1GB of RAM is
> unusual these days, given the low prices. Certainly anything intended
> to drive a monitor would have that much RAM unless put together from
> the "junk drawer".

I agree, 1GB minimum for both is the best way to go, but in this case
I still think it would be nicer to have the 1GB on the FE and let the
backend use the 512MB and just swap more.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -