[mythtv-users] Proof of Concept a success!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 16 14:03:32 UTC 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:41 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> I would suggest using the 1GB RAM on the frontend, especially for
> HDTV, and as the backend doesn't require as much and can get along
> fine with using swap space.

As with everything - it depends.

If you are doing a lot of commflagging, transcoding, DVD burning with
MythBurn or MythArchive, or software encoding then I would put the
RAM into the backend. If all the B/E is doing is running mysql and
recording pre-encoded video then how much RAM it has is far less
important.

About the only thing a F/E need RAM for, as you pointed out, is
decoding, especially HD.

But honestly, building any machine other than a NAS device or perhaps
a file/print or even a mail server with less than 1GB of RAM is
unusual these days, given the low prices. Certainly anything intended
to drive a monitor would have that much RAM unless put together from
the "junk drawer".

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org