[mythtv-users] Proof of Concept a success!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 16 14:52:13 UTC 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 8:24 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> I find the menu system at higher resolutions, especially for the nicer
> themes, requires more RAM, and that the overall responsiveness
> increases with more RAM.

Good point, I'm still using QT and a vary basic theme. I forget I'm
probably in the minority on this.

> I also think the backend can get away with
> swap space for a lot of those tasks.

Of course it can, with the resultant increase in time taken. How long
do you want to wait for your DVD? If you start it when you go to bed
it's going to be ready when you wake up, but if you promised a disk
to someone and are waiting for it to finish before you rush off to ...

How soon after recording a show do you want your commflag job to be
finished? If you plan to watch it next week then swapping doesn't
matter much, but...

>> But honestly, building any machine other than a NAS device or perhaps
>> a file/print or even a mail server with less than 1GB of RAM is
>> unusual these days, given the low prices. Certainly anything intended
>> to drive a monitor would have that much RAM unless put together from
>> the "junk drawer".
>
> I agree, 1GB minimum for both is the best way to go, but in this case
> I still think it would be nicer to have the 1GB on the FE and let the
> backend use the 512MB and just swap more.

As I said, it all depends, no 2 installations and no 2 users are the
same.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org