[mythtv-users] pci -e 1x video cards?

Pietralla, Siegfried P siegfried.pietralla at eds.com
Thu Apr 12 22:27:03 UTC 2007

________________________________

	From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of ryan patterson
	Sent: Friday, 13 April 2007 00:54
	To: Discussion about mythtv
	Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] pci -e 1x video cards?

	On 4/12/07, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

		I need to replace a failed video card...

		As I have a shortage of slots, I'd like to use a pcie x1
card (not x16)
		card....

		The only nvidia based one I've found is this one:

		http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1045/index.html

		Anyone have any experience with this, or any other, x1
video card?

		Thanks,

		--Yan

	Actually you could take any PCI-E x16 and convert it into a
PCI-E x1 card with out much trouble.  Just physically cut off the pins
for PCI-E channel 2-16, leaving only the pins for PCI-E channel 1 should
work.

	I assume you motherboard does have a PCI-E x16 slot.  Are you
using it for something else?

	--
	Ryan Patterson

i've actually done this - my motherboard had onboard video and pci-e 1x,
4x and 8x slots. and the 8x wouldn't allow video. so i bought a cheap
16x video card ( i think a 6200tc ~$25 australian ) and cut a slot in
the video card so that it would fit in the pci-e 4x slot - if you have
free space behind the pci-e slot then you won't need to cut away all the
other pins on the video card. this works fine, and it gives you a much
larger choice of cards ( and probably cheaper too ).

regards.