[mythtv-users] pci -e 1x video cards?

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 13:10:03 UTC 2007

Pietralla, Siegfried P wrote:

> i've actually done this - my motherboard had onboard video and pci-e 1x,
> 4x and 8x slots. and the 8x wouldn't allow video. so i bought a cheap
> 16x video card ( i think a 6200tc ~$25 australian ) and cut a slot in
> the video card so that it would fit in the pci-e 4x slot - if you have
> free space behind the pci-e slot then you won't need to cut away all the
> other pins on the video card. this works fine, and it gives you a much
> larger choice of cards ( and probably cheaper too ).

I've also done something similar. Xeon board with 4x slots, I cut out
the back of the 4x slot with some careful dremeling and fitted a
fullsize 6600 in(and people have done similar with the Dell SC420).

There's no reason a 1x slot won't work for Myth. I've done 720p with a
PCI based ATI card(nothing else was on the PCI bus however) without much
difficulty. Although this wasn't with full 60fps material if I recall
correctly, highest was some 720p 30fps HD clips.

Matt