[mythtv-users] 4:3 on LCD with Leadtek 6200

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 11 23:56:33 UTC 2007

On 04/11/2007 06:25 PM, Don Bossung wrote:

> My mythbox is running Fedora Core 5 x86_64 and myth .20. I installed
> and updated the machine using Jarrod’s howto and have it running
> nicely with a Hauppauge 150 tuner. The mythbox is hooked to my olevia
> 37” lcd tv using vga from the leadtek card.
>
> When I setup the machine, I just used the X nvidia driver (nv) and
> then tweaked xorg.conf using modelines from gtf to get 1368x768 output
> to the lcd which I was able to fine tune the tv settings and get edge
> to edge coverage. I have analog cable (time warner) hooked to the
> pvr150 and when I go into live tv with myth, I get an expected 4:3
> image with pillars on each side. But I did note that the image was a
> little fuzzy and when I watched a station with a ticker scroll on the
> bottom of the screen, the letters would be real fuzzy and hard to read.

Sounds like you want a higher bitrate...

> After doing some research here and on google, I decided to use the
> nvidia driver to try and get some improvements. I downloaded v9755 for
> x86_64 and installed it. After installation I used nvidia-xconfig and
> it modified the xorg.conf and all I could really see different was the
> driver nvidia instead of nv. When I restarted X and went into live tv,
> the 4:3 image completely filled the screen. Using the W key to scroll
> through the different aspects, each one still filled the screen just
> different levels of apparent zoom. Getting back to the aspect ‘off’
> gave the enlarged 4:3 with no side pillars.
>
> I have tried various resolutions, display sizes etc, and nothing gives
> me the ‘normal’ 4:3 with side pillars. (By the way, I think the image
> is better, I just don’t want it so LARGE). I have attached a trim
> downed xorg.conf with no comments if that helps

NVIDIA's new drivers take a page from Microsoft's, "We can't trust the
user to tell us what to do," book. They completely ignore the settings
you provide (i.e. DisplaySize--which is used to specify aspect ratio) if
the display provides EDID information for the same settings.

Chances are the panel provides incorrect information which may be
causing you to run at a "standard" computer resolution (like 1024x768)
and which causes the driver to report a 4:3 aspect ratio.

See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards

Mike