[mythtv-users] Strange Audio Issue

Rob Burton phantom1000 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:49:44 UTC 2007

Last night I discovered that my recordings from channel 4 no longer
contained audio. Thinking that it may have been a temporary audio outage, I
checked Live TV on Myth and found that I had sound on all channels except
channel 4.

A little background: I am using Time Warner cable in Manhattan. My layout
runs the audio from the set top box via two RCA cables to an adapter that
converts the RCA cables to a single stereo 1/8" jack. The 1/8" jack is
attached to a PVR350. Video is carried over an Svideo cable from the STB to
the PVR350.

I have done the following troubleshooting so far:
1) Changing the RCA-to-1/8" adapter to a spare one I had - Result: sound on
all channels except channel 4.
2) Plugging the adapter (both the original and the spare) into a laptop's
mic input - Result: no sound on channel 4, sound works fine on all other
channels.
3) Running the RCA cables directly into my stereo  - Result: sound works
fine on all channels.

I spoke with Time Warner earlier, and we went through all of the cable box
reboots and what-not with out success.  I would prefer not to switch over to
the coax input until I rule out all other possible options. So, does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Rob