[mythtv-users] 4:3 on LCD with Leadtek 6200

Don Bossung donald at bossung.net
Wed Apr 11 22:25:33 UTC 2007

My mythbox is running Fedora Core 5 x86_64 and myth .20. I installed and
updated the machine using Jarrod's howto and have it running nicely with a
Hauppauge 150 tuner. The mythbox is hooked to my olevia 37" lcd tv using vga
from the leadtek card.

When I setup the machine, I just used the X nvidia driver (nv) and then
tweaked xorg.conf using modelines from gtf to get 1368x768 output to the lcd
which I was able to fine tune the tv settings and get edge to edge coverage.
I have analog cable (time warner) hooked to the pvr150 and when I go into
live tv with myth, I get an expected 4:3 image with pillars on each side.
But I did note that the image was a little fuzzy and when I watched a
station with a ticker scroll on the bottom of the screen, the letters would
be real fuzzy and hard to read.

After doing some research here and on google, I decided to use the nvidia
driver to try and get some improvements. I downloaded v9755 for x86_64 and
installed it. After installation I used nvidia-xconfig and it modified the
xorg.conf and all I could really see different was the driver nvidia instead
of nv. When I restarted X and went into live tv, the 4:3 image completely
filled the screen. Using the W key to scroll through the different aspects,
each one still filled the screen just different levels of apparent zoom.
Getting back to the aspect 'off' gave the enlarged 4:3 with no side pillars.

I have tried various resolutions, display sizes etc, and nothing gives me
the 'normal' 4:3 with side pillars. (By the way, I think the image is
better, I  just don't want it so LARGE). I have attached a trim downed
xorg.conf with no comments if that helps

Any ideas?

Thanks

Don

Section "ServerLayout"

    Identifier     "single head configuration"

    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0

    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

EndSection

Section "Files"

    FontPath        "unix/:7100"

EndSection

Section "Module"

    Load           "dbe"

    Load           "extmod"

    Load           "fbdevhw"

    Load           "glx"

    Load           "record"

    Load           "freetype"

    Load           "type1"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier     "Keyboard0"

    Driver         "kbd"

    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"

    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier     "Mouse0"

    Driver         "mouse"

    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

    Identifier     "Monitor0"

    VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"

    ModelName      "LCD Panel 1024x768"

    VertRefresh     50 - 70

    ModeLine       "1368x768" 85.5 1368 1478 1590 1776 768 771 777 795

    Modeline        "1280x720_60.00"  74.48  1280 1336 1472 1664  720 721
724 746  -HSync +Vsync

EndSection

Section "Device"

    Identifier     "Videocard0"

    Driver         "nvidia"

    VendorName     "Videocard vendor"

    BoardName      "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

    Identifier     "Screen0"

    Device         "Videocard0"