[mythtv-users] Mobo recommendations

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Apr 11 15:48:51 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>

>>> It could even be something like your AC line voltage dropping when
>>> everyone in your area turns on their lights, TV sets and home
>>> computers. If your power supply is at all marginal even a slight drop
>>> in AC voltage could cause the PSU's output to go out of regulation.
>>> Most "flaky" computer problems are caused by power supplies in my
>>> experience.
>>>

>> All of the equipment is new. I am not discounting the possibility,
>> but I
>> spent a good bit of money on fairly good stuff to reduce the
>> chances of
>> that...
>>

> It would have nothing to do with your equipment, or even anything
> within your control if the line voltage got too low. As for the PSUs
> in your equipment, I've discovered that even "expensive" ones can be
> crap, and some cheapies are actually pretty good. Manufacturers just
> grab whatever they can get cheaply, knowing that most consumers would
> be hard put to even know what a DC power supply was, much less shop
> intelligently for one. Folks on this list are better-educated than
> most on this subject, but capture cards put higher-than-average loads
> on the 12-volt rails so the PSUs are not being used in a "common"
> configuration.
>
> Do you have something like a "Kill-a-Watt"? That's one of the best
> investments I ever made IMHO. Even a VOM or DMM can at least measure
> line voltage, be careful with the probes though.

That's a good point....  My house is old - built in 1954 - and has been
"re-muddled" several times, often by owners.  I've corrected some of the
most egregious wiring errors but who knows what lurks in the walls.

That might even fit with the time; if people come home around 5 or 6PM
power usage goes up and voltage might drop....

I've always wanted a kill-a-watt; now maybe the time to get it.  :-)

--Yan