[mythtv-users] Mobo recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 11 15:44:30 UTC 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

>> It could even be something like your AC line voltage dropping when
>> everyone in your area turns on their lights, TV sets and home
>> computers. If your power supply is at all marginal even a slight drop
>> in AC voltage could cause the PSU's output to go out of regulation.
>> Most "flaky" computer problems are caused by power supplies in my
>> experience.
>>
> All of the equipment is new. I am not discounting the possibility,
> but I
> spent a good bit of money on fairly good stuff to reduce the
> chances of
> that...

It would have nothing to do with your equipment, or even anything
within your control if the line voltage got too low. As for the PSUs
in your equipment, I've discovered that even "expensive" ones can be
crap, and some cheapies are actually pretty good. Manufacturers just
grab whatever they can get cheaply, knowing that most consumers would
be hard put to even know what a DC power supply was, much less shop
intelligently for one. Folks on this list are better-educated than
most on this subject, but capture cards put higher-than-average loads
on the 12-volt rails so the PSUs are not being used in a "common"
configuration.

Do you have something like a "Kill-a-Watt"? That's one of the best
investments I ever made IMHO. Even a VOM or DMM can at least measure
line voltage, be careful with the probes though.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org