[mythtv-users] Smoother video playback?

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 04:33:30 UTC 2007

On 11/04/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I assume from your email address that you're PAL based - hence your
> > material will be 25fps. Do you have a 50Hz modeline to use for
> > display? - likely if this is a hi-def tv, unlikely if it's a monitor.
> > A 50Hz modeline should give you a noticeable improvement, particularly
> > in combination with opengl vsync.
>
> I might have just learned something here. I'm in in a PAL country
> (Australia), so does that mean I should be using a 50Hz modeline? Why
> does it matter?
>
> Regards,
> Phill

Absolutely, use a 50Hz modeline if you can.

The difference is like chalk and cheese, unfortunately most/all of the VGA
inputs on the Samsung panels (which Sony also use) will only synch at 60Hz.

I have a Sony 40" Bravia and tried to escalate this through their support
but didn't get outside of Australia.

The only answer I have found was to use the HDMI input with a 1280x720p 50
Hz modeline and put up with the overscan. You can then change the the gui
size in the frontend setup->appearance 2nd page.

Here is the relevant part from my xorg.conf:
Note the ModeValidation option, without this the driver will only allow 60Hz
video timings.

Cheers,

Roo.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "MonDVI"
        VendorName   "Sony"
        ModelName    "KLV-V40A10"
        HorizSync    14.0 - 46.0
        VertRefresh  47.0 - 61.0

        # NVidia Driver Options
        Option  "UseDisplayDevice"      "DFP"
        Option  "NoLogo"                "TRUE"
        Option  "DPI"                   "75 x 75"
        Option  "ModeValidation"        "DFP-0: AllowNon60HzDFPModes"
        Option  "XvmcUsesTextures"      "FALSE"

        Modeline "1280x720p at 50" 59.42 1280 1312 1536 1568 720 735 741 757
+hsync +vsync
EndSection