[mythtv-users] Minimal software configuration for MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 10 17:25:41 UTC 2007

On 04/10/2007 11:59 AM, Marcos Iuato wrote:
> I was using tvtime, but it has no time shifiting and pvr.

Yeah, and I'm thinking that unless you're willing to get a hardware
encoder (like the PVR-150), you're asking too much of your system trying
to do PVR things.

> I was testing mythtv configuration for software encoding for v4l, and
> noted that if I use lower resolution (352x240) the "prebuffering pause"
> message gets worst. If I use (720 X 576) I get just a few messages. I am
> usaing Pal-m. Why it get worst with lower resolution?
>
> If I use less quality it would reduce the usage of cpu?

Resolution != quality.  Bitrate is involved, too.  And remember that
prebuffering pause isn't necessarily CPU--it's often I/O.

Oh, and please don't top-post.

Mike