[mythtv-users] Myth Front End can't connect with database

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Thu Apr 5 02:10:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, April 4, 2007 6:36 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Not only does MySQL have manuals, we do too:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2

Always a pertinent reminder. Actually, I have read and read and read.
Apparently not the right stuff yet. I have the silver-blue paper book
which is a compendium of stuff available on line. I like paper.

I am humbled by the quality and amount of work that the myth developers
and community have done for dolts like me (OK, I'm pretty smart ... but
anyone can be a dolt on a given day).

If you think I'm skimming, please feel free to slap me down.

Good progress. I opened the privileges to mythtv on xena, which seemed to
have a better effect that opening them on the wild card. I may have to
explicitly open them for each WS in the home network, but if that happens
(and it may not), it's no great hardship. We're not talkin' the Gates
mansion here.

I've also added xena to the table, probably in the same operation:

mysql> select Host,User from user where user='mythtv';
+---------------+--------+
| Host          | User   |
+---------------+--------+
| 192.168.100.% | mythtv |
| localhost     | mythtv |
| xena          | mythtv |
+---------------+--------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Now the FE opens but complains that the BE isn't running. I'll check to
make sure the connections/channels are all still configured (no biggie if
they got lost, I'll just reenter them). And I'll read your howto.

I'm going to open another thread to ask another pretty simple question
about front ends. If I don't come back to this, you've led me out of the
swamp. Thanks for your time and patience.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer