[mythtv-users] Myth Front End can't connect with database

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Apr 5 01:36:05 UTC 2007

"Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'xena'"
------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> I use "bind-address = 0.0.0.0" and using a specific address
>> may affect how it resolves host names. I'm not sure.
>>

> This is one of those "my but I'm ignorant" moments. bind-address goes in
> what, /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt or in /etc/my.cnf?

"my.cnf". In an earlier message you showed that you had used
a specific address here.

  If the latter, in
> which section?
>
>> : bjm at moktoo ; cat ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>> str DBHostName=nordtv
>
> This I have ('xena' of course)
>
>> str DBUserName=mythtv
>> str DBPassword=mythtv
>> str DBName=mythconverg
>>

> ... and all this too
>
>> and at "nordtv"
>>
>> : bjm at nordtv ; mysql -u root mysql
>> mysql> select Host,User from user where user='mythtv';
>> +-----------+--------+
>> | Host      | User   |
>> +-----------+--------+
>> | 192.168.% | mythtv |
>> | localhost | mythtv |
>> | nordtv    | mythtv |
>> +-----------+--------+
>>

> ... and this
>
> mysql> select Host,User from user where user='mythtv';
> +---------------+--------+
> | Host          | User   |
> +---------------+--------+
> | 192.168.100.% | mythtv |
> | localhost     | mythtv |
> 2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> Line 1 is not as general as your line 1 but I'm thinking should work. Line
> 2 same-same. I have no line 3 for 'xena'. That may be the missing secret

Right, and the "Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'xena'" message
was trying to tell you that =).

> sauce. But how to insert it? Does another pass of mythsetup do the trick?

Not only does MySQL have manuals, we do too:

--  bjm