[mythtv-users] Myth Front End can't connect with database

B Walker braindead at diablops.com
Thu Apr 5 01:22:06 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:15:10 -0700 (PDT)
"Lan Barnes" <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:

> On Wed, April 4, 2007 4:53 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:
> > Lan Barnes wrote:
> > This says that a TCP connection was made but the application
> > did not want to accept an unknown user for "'mythtv'@'xena'"
> > I use "bind-address = 0.0.0.0" and using a specific address
> > may affect how it resolves host names. I'm not sure.
> >

> This is one of those "my but I'm ignorant" moments. bind-address goes
> in what, /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt or in /etc/my.cnf?  If the
> latter, in which section?

I haven't followed this entire thread, but I can answer that question. It goes in my.cnf in the [mysqld] section.  All of my bind-address lines are currently commented out, I rely on my iptables config to block the mysql port to outside addresses.

If your machine has more than one nic, set the bind-address to the nic you want it to bind to.  Or leave out the bind-address entirely and mysql should bind to all available interfaces.