[mythtv-users] Myth Front End can't connect with database

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Thu Apr 5 01:15:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, April 4, 2007 4:53 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Lan Barnes wrote:
>> OK, how does one go about "adding *all* my machine's names, addresses,
>> and
>> variations, to the mysql database"?
>
> You only need to add the ones it asks for. For me, this has
> only ever been 'localhost', the local hostname or the wildcard
> IP address.

... asks for when? I apologize for being the slow kid, but not everything
is apparent to me right now. For example, I'm surmising all this is back
end stuff done in MythSetup ... but wait, the FE needs to know this, too.
And if there is no DB connection, the FE kicks into the setup as well.

Right now my myth box isn't even talking to itself, so I've got the pooch
pretty thoroughly screwed. Back when it was all localhost, it worked fine
as a standalone. Now I can't even seem to switch back.

>> Database error was:
>> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'xena' (using password: YES)
>
> This says that a TCP connection was made but the application
> did not want to accept an unknown user for "'mythtv'@'xena'"
> I use "bind-address = 0.0.0.0" and using a specific address
> may affect how it resolves host names. I'm not sure.

This is one of those "my but I'm ignorant" moments. bind-address goes in
what, /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt or in /etc/my.cnf?  If the latter, in
which section?

> : bjm at moktoo ; cat ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> str DBHostName=nordtv

This I have ('xena' of course)

> str DBUserName=mythtv
> str DBPassword=mythtv
> str DBName=mythconverg

... and all this too

> and at "nordtv"
>
> : bjm at nordtv ; mysql -u root mysql
> mysql> select Host,User from user where user='mythtv';
> +-----------+--------+
> | Host      | User   |
> +-----------+--------+
> | 192.168.% | mythtv |
> | localhost | mythtv |
> | nordtv    | mythtv |
> +-----------+--------+

... and this

mysql> select Host,User from user where user='mythtv';
+---------------+--------+
| Host          | User   |
+---------------+--------+
| 192.168.100.% | mythtv |
| localhost     | mythtv |
+---------------+--------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Line 1 is not as general as your line 1 but I'm thinking should work. Line
2 same-same. I have no line 3 for 'xena'. That may be the missing secret
sauce. But how to insert it? Does another pass of mythsetup do the trick?

> accepts any connection from any other host.
>
> Finally (or firstly), MySQL docs and support are at
> http://www.mysql.com/ .
>
> Hope this helps,

Ah, directions. I can use those!

Actually, mysql isn't that obscure. Postgres gives me a lot of positive
transfer. However knowing how to poke a relational database, and knowing
the application schema are very different animals.

Hmm ... maybe they discuss bind-address ... off to the directions.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer