[mythtv-users] Myth Front End can't connect with database

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Thu Apr 5 01:32:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, April 4, 2007 4:53 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:

>> Database error was:
>> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'xena' (using password: YES)
>
> This says that a TCP connection was made but the application
> did not want to accept an unknown user for "'mythtv'@'xena'"
> I use "bind-address = 0.0.0.0" and using a specific address
> may affect how it resolves host names.

This magic incantation in /etc/my.cnf [mysqld]

  bind-address = 0.0.0.0

... makes it possible to connect with mythconverg on xena as follows:

[root at xena etc]# mysql -u root -h xena mythconverg

Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 5.0.22

mysql> \q
Bye

This is the first time the mysql DB has responded as anything except
localhost. I think this breaks the problem's back. I have much to do, but
I suspect this is the last technical hurdle for this phase of the
adventure.

Thanks to everyone who held my hand. I'll be back soon with more really
simple questions.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer