[mythtv-users] Weird distortion on recordings

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Apr 3 14:33:34 UTC 2007

Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
>> I'm trying to track down some weird distortion on recordings.  I've
>> posted a couple of examples and I hope someone can shed some light on
>> this:
>>
>> http://www.seiner.com/analog.jpg
>> http://www.seiner.com/digital.jpg
>>
>> This has been happening on my new backend - a 1.67 Ghz Core2 Duo.  I
>> transplanted the tuners from my old PIII 1GHz box to this one, and
>> this started happening.  Recordings on the old server were perfect;
>> here they distort like this.
>
> I had similar problems to what you're showing.  Much more frequently
> on the digital than analog, however.  For the analog tuner, I had to
> modify my IVTV driver in ivtv-driver.h to IVTV_ENC_PIO 1, which fixed
> the analog issues.

What kernel/ivtv version?

> For digital, I replaced the power supply, which fixed those issues.
Ooof... I hope not; this is a brand new box with a (supposedly) server
quality PS....  Doesn't mean it's not failing, though.

I am guessing that it's something downstream of the first splitter; the
signal going to the real TV shows none of the problems I am seeing with
Myth.  I wish I had a real signal strength meter so I could test the
antenna signal....

Anyone know where I can get some diagnostic tools for TV reception?  I
have a bt878 card I could stick in a box if it means that I could get an
accurate 'second opinion'....

--Yan