[mythtv-users] Plextor Deal at Tiger

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 1 14:19:23 UTC 2007

Normally I hate plugging vendors, and I hate MIRs even more, but this
one might be of interest to some:

Tiger Direct is selling the Plextor PX-M402U for $29.95, "after rebate".

No tuner, but if you wanted to capture the output of a STB by
composite or S-Video this would work fine. It would also of course
capture the output of a VCR or DVD player. I believe that Myth only
supports the MPEG4 mode of this device, but the unit actually will do
MPEG2 and even DiVX modes when driven by the available Linux capture
software, or even EyETV for the MAC.

It's their item P67-1086

Sorry for the blatant commercial plug, but if anyone's interested
that's the best price I've ever seen for a decent little USB external
capture unit. Plextor gear is usually pretty high-priced but in my
experience generally worth it.

And of course this assumes the reader is in yankee-land.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org