[mythtv-users] Fwd: Mythtv - black screen when trying to watch tv on computer

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 2 12:52:22 UTC 2007

On 04/01/2007 04:18 PM, Douglas Ward wrote:
> On 4/1/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 04/01/2007 10:15 AM, Douglas Ward wrote:
>>> I have set up a Mythtv box running Mandriva 2007 and using a
>>> Hauppage PVR 350 capture card.
>>> When I try to watch tv or record a program all I get is a black screen.
>> You've configured your system to use the PVR-350's hardware decoder.
>> This can /only/ be used with the PVR-350's TV out, so it won't work
>> with your system connected to a monitor.  So, just disable, "Use the
>> PVR-350's TV out / MPEG decoder" and you'll be up and running.
>>> When I pick something out of the channel guide it records but mythtv
>>> says that it doesn't exist in the play back screens.  I can see the
>>> video in the /home/recordings directory.  Very strange.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Why_aren.27t_my_new_recordings_showing_up_in_Watch_Recordings.3F

BTW, this is a bottom- or inline-posting list.  (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette )  Other
people will find conversations easier to understand (making it more
likely for someone to jump in after I give you wrong info ;) if you
follow this approach.

> I followed your advice about rebuilding my channel list without
> channel scan.

Good.  That will pay off in the future (i.e. fewer future problems).  :)

> I did read that FAQ document and verified that my setup looks ok.

So you don't have any filters set and you're still not seeing any TV
shows?  If so, chances are your frontend is looking at a different
database from your backend or having other database issues.  Are you
using separate frontend (playback)/backend (recording) machines?

> I am still seeing about three seconds of black screen and then back to
> the myth frontend.  They only place in mythtv that I can find that is
> in the transcoder section.  The only option I can
> choose is hardware.

The option:

Use the PVR-350's TV out / MPEG decoder
MythTV can use the PVR-350's TV out and MPEG decoder for high quality
playback.  This requires that the ivtv-fb kernel module is also loaded
and configured properly.

Is in mythfrontend settings--Utilities/Setup|Settings|TV
Settings|Playback Settings on page "Decoder Settigns" (somewhere around
page 6).

Mike