[mythtv-users] Looking for help with xorg.conf

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Fri Sep 29 17:36:44 UTC 2006

Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 07:29:34PM -0700, Andrew Davis wrote:
>
>> How do I let it detect? Is there something I should run? During install
>> it detected only the LCD monitor I had connected. After upgrading to the
>> nVidia drivers, I haven't done anything to re-detect anything. Do you
>> have an example of the ConnectedMonitor option? Is it something like:
>> "ConnectedMonitor" "DVI, TV". Just for the sake of clarity, can I assume
>> the dual monitor section of the readme includes mixing monitors and TV's
>> and not just dual-head displays?
>>

> I don't believe the driver included with X will support TV out from
> nVidia cards - that's why the install process only saw your LCD.  When
> you changed from the X video driver nv to the nvidia driver you now
> should be able to detect all the output devices attached to your card.
>
> If you have both monitors (DVI and HD) connected when you start the
> nVidia driver (by starting X) the driver is supposed to detect the
> devices.  If it does not, you can add the option line:
>
> Option "ConnectedMonitor"  "TV, DFP"
>
> These are from the nVidia 9625 driver (currently available as a beta
> driver from nVidia).  Options for connected monitor are:
>
> TV
> DFP (digital flat panel)
> CRT (traditional monitor)

So in the above, a TV is a traditional TV while DFP would be an LCD *or*
an HD-type TV (plasma)? I'm confused on how they define TV since so many
newer TVs are also monitors. Do I assume CRT for a CRT, DFP for an LCD,
and TV for a TV regardless of the type of TV? I guess put another way,
is a widescreen plasma considered a TV or a DFP by nvidia?