[mythtv-users] Looking for help with xorg.conf

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Fri Sep 29 13:20:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 07:29:34PM -0700, Andrew Davis wrote:

> How do I let it detect? Is there something I should run? During install
> it detected only the LCD monitor I had connected. After upgrading to the
> nVidia drivers, I haven't done anything to re-detect anything. Do you
> have an example of the ConnectedMonitor option? Is it something like:
> "ConnectedMonitor" "DVI, TV". Just for the sake of clarity, can I assume
> the dual monitor section of the readme includes mixing monitors and TV's
> and not just dual-head displays?

I don't believe the driver included with X will support TV out from
nVidia cards - that's why the install process only saw your LCD.  When
you changed from the X video driver nv to the nvidia driver you now
should be able to detect all the output devices attached to your card.

If you have both monitors (DVI and HD) connected when you start the
nVidia driver (by starting X) the driver is supposed to detect the
devices.  If it does not, you can add the option line:

Option "ConnectedMonitor"  "TV, DFP"

These are from the nVidia 9625 driver (currently available as a beta
driver from nVidia).  Options for connected monitor are:

TV
DFP (digital flat panel)
CRT (traditional monitor)

If you have the X module XRandR loaded you should be able to dynamically
enable the second monitor with the nvidia-settings utility included with
the driver.

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
kb8pym at arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM
Living life to a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack
"Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"