[mythtv-users] Looking for help with xorg.conf

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Fri Sep 29 02:29:34 UTC 2006

Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 06:21:35PM -0700, Andrew Davis wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:21:35 -0700
>> From: Andrew Davis <andrew at nccomp.com>
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] Looking for help with xorg.conf
>> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>
>> My video out card is a Leadtek WinFast PX6200 which linux sees as a
>> "nVidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache". In nutshell it has DVI out, VGA out,
>> and a port that takes a dongle that gives me s-video and composite out.
>> I'm trying to setup a dual-head display that goes to my TV and the DVI
>> port, but everything I seem to try gives me a blank screen everywhere
>> following a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE, forcing me to ssh in and revert to the
>> original xorg.conf. Basically, I want to enable DVI out to a 17'' LCD at
>> resolutions of 1280x1024, 1024x768, and 800x600 with 32bit color. I
>> *also* want to go out to my TV which is a JVC 61'' widescreen plasma
>> (HD-61Z456). And, of course, I'd like the TV out to be widescreen (16:9)
>> resolution(s) since all my DVDs and rips are widescreen format. I was
>> able to disable the LCD section and enable an option for "TVOutFormat"
>> "SVIDEO" and I could get a signal on my TV, though it had a border all
>> around and wasn't very sharp. Unfortunately, trying the composite cables
>> *and* "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE" didn't seem to work. The config below is
>> all I've been able to get to work for the TV:
>>

> Do you mean COMPONENT outputs?  Composite video is one cable.  Component
> out (HD, DVD) is 3 cables.  If you really meant COMPONENT, you need to
> specify the TVStandard as HD480p, HD540p, HD720p, or HD1080i depending
> on what the monitor can display.  Depending on the version of your
> nVidia driver you may also need to specify TVOutFormat as COMPONENT.

Sorry... shows my A/V knowledge. I thought that the "RCA
yellow-red-white(black)" was considered "component" and the three line
video only (red-green-blue) was "composite". So, the answer to your
question is that I'm trying to do DVI and component out simultaneously.
As for the TVStandard, I guess I need to consult the manual...
>> Section "Device"
>>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>         Driver      "nvidia"
>>         VendorName  "Leadtek"
>>         BoardName   "Leadtek WinFast PX6200 - nVidia GeForce 6200
>> TurboCache"
>>         #Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
>>         #TV Out Setup
>>         Option     "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
>>         Option     "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
>>        #Option     "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
>> EndSection
>>
>> ... but doing this gave me TV out only, not DVI out as well... so while
>> I can see it somewhat decently on the TV, its blurry enough that I have
>> to use my LCD monitor to fix things (or a remote console via ssh), but
>> since I can't seem to get both the LCD and TV going at the same time,
>> this is getting quite frustrating.
>>

> To get DVI and TV out either let the card auto detect your devices or
> change ConnectedMonitor to include DVI and TV.  You also may want to
> enable twinview.  The nVidia readme has a section on dual monitor setups.

How do I let it detect? Is there something I should run? During install
it detected only the LCD monitor I had connected. After upgrading to the
nVidia drivers, I haven't done anything to re-detect anything. Do you
have an example of the ConnectedMonitor option? Is it something like:
"ConnectedMonitor" "DVI, TV". Just for the sake of clarity, can I assume
the dual monitor section of the readme includes mixing monitors and TV's
and not just dual-head displays?