[mythtv-users] Update channel icons for your area (was Re: Sky Channel Icons)

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 22 14:56:40 UTC 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 22:35, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Although MythTV's SVN branch doesn't use mythautoicon.  Instead, it has
> a complete list of all the available logos and icons on lyngsat in a
> text file.
>
> As I see it:
>
> mythautoicon's goal is to create a script that can automatically grab
> icons for users and insert them into the database.  The download and
> insert into the database portion of mythautoicon overlaps
> mythfilldatabase's ability to do the same.  However, mythautoicon adds a
> capability to find the icons.
>
> master_iconmap.xml's goal is to create a mapping between every station
> in existence and the appropriate icon for that station so that
> mythfilldatabase can download the icons and insert them into the
> database (without needing another package) using its internal
> functionality.  The master_iconmap.xml is a replacement for
> mythautoicon's search functionality.

I would just like to second what Mike has said here. The problem a lot of non
US users have is the lack of callsigns. I've not installed 0.20 in anger and
tried getting this stuff to work, but I'm guessing that it still cannot
handle the UK as elegantly as the US because of this lack. This means you
still need to insert some of that info manually. I've read elsewhere (poss.
in this very thread) that someone has something up and coming that will be
easier for UK users, but it doesn't mention other countries without
callsigns.

I think this is one of those cases where everyone has to find what works for
them out of the options out there.
--
Steve Boddy