[mythtv-users] My Perennial Problems with XvMC

Norm Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 15 15:08:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 01:39 -0400, Dylan Semler wrote:
> Configure options are --prefix=/usr/local --enable-xvmc
> --enable-xvmc-opengl --arch=i686 --enable-proc-opt --enable-dvb
> --enable-opengl-vsync --tune=`uname -i` --cpu=`uname -i` --enable-mmx
>
> note that opengl-vsync is not enabled despite me expressing it on the
> command line.  There is an angoing thred about this and it seems it's
> not ready for release yet.  I've rebuilt and restarted myth many
> times.  I'm pretty sure that running make install while the backend is
> running terminates it but I'm not sure.  As you can see from the first
> post, I've had these symptoms for a while so I may have forgotten to
> restart the backend at one point, however certainly not every time.
>
> Right now I'm using twinview with a Dell 1024x768 lcd and an old
> 1280x1024 CRT.  I've tried the setup without twinview on each monitor
> with the same results.
>
> These are good ideas.  Keep them coming if you've got them or anyone
> else feel free to join in.  There's got to be something we're not
> thinking of.

Here's my mythfrontend --version

Library API version: 0.19.20060121-2
Source code version: Unknown
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_xvmcw using_v4l using_oss using_alsa using_ivtv using_firewire
using_lirc using_x11 using_xv using_dvdnav using_xrandr using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld
using_opengl_vsync using_frontend using_backend

Something I just thought of... What user are you using for Myth?  If you're logging
in as a regular user (ie. user mythtv), you may want to make sure that this user also
belongs to the "video" group.  At least that's how it is for me.  As well, you may want
to check permissions on /dev/nvidia* to ensure you have rw permissions.

Norm