[mythtv-users] Fwd: Satellite capture card - Sky

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Sep 13 12:41:15 EDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Richard Conway wrote:

> Out of interest, are many people running DVB-S cards in the UK?  I have
> two DVB-T cards in my mythbox but was wondering if it would be worth
> sticking a DVB-S one in too - would I see any extra channels worth
> having?  Also, can mythtv get the sky programme guides throug eit on DVB-S?

I have recently started using a DVB-S card here in the UK
(Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus).  It works very well, and I'm pretty happy with
it, however:

1. You'll only get the FTA channels, *not* the FTV or subscription
channels (Channel 4 and Channel 5 are still FTV so you won't get them -
this is set to change over the next year I believe - C4 have said that
they're just waiting for some contracts to expire before moving to FTA).
I still have a Sky box plugged into a BTTV card for getting the non-FTA
content (with a quad-LNB on the dish).

2. You don't get the interactive stuff because it's in (not-so-)OpenTV
format on DVB-S instead of MHEG-5.  I understand that FreeSat (due to be
launched some time in 2007) will be using MHEG-5 though, so we should get
to use that.

3. Sky only provide now/next data through the EIT - the program guide is
transmitted using propriatory OpenTV protocols.  Again, this is expected
to change when FreeSat appears.

Google around for lists of FTA channels currently available on the Astra
constellation at 28.2E.

--

  - Steve