[mythtv-users] Starting Over

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 01:18:55 UTC 2006

> > OK, I know some people said not to worry about it, but…
> >
> > My best guess says that I should go to a PVR-150 and something like an
> > ATI Radeon 9250 (or even just a 9200).

Spend a few bucks more and get a PVR-500 so you have two tuners. It
sucks getting kicked out of LiveTV when a recording (that you want)
starts

> > Does that sound OK to you guys? I'm on a new Intel MB, P4 3GHz, 512MB
> > RAM, 2 SATA drives, etc… Going to be a combo front/backend for a
> > while, then dedicated backend.

I'd probably up the RAM to 1gb just because, and I'd go with 2 500gb
hard drives, and I'd throw it in a case designed for low noise and get
a quiet power supply.

> I think you are selling yourself short with an ATI card. nVidia is much
> better supported in Linux, and a 5200 card will give you great TV out
> quality.

Historically, nVidia is far and away the more Linux-friendly company.
I bet 80% or more of the users here have nVidia cards in their mythtv
boxes. Having said that, nVidia has released a lot of "bad" versions
of drivers that broke some level of functionality for certain cards
and we've all learned to just stick to whatever driver works for us.

Can anyone with significant experience using current nVidia and ATI
graphics cards and vendor drivers under current Linux distributions
provide a comparison of driver quality / vendor support / hardware
functionality?

-Ross