[mythtv-users] Starting Over

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Fri Sep 8 01:30:13 UTC 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Nick wrote:
> Get a fanless 5200. In the UK I'm battling on with my ATI cards (9000
> Pro, 9100IGP and Mobile 9700 in my laptop) but we also don't have HDTV
> yet, so these cards can easily handle SDTV with the open source radeon
> driver. Plus, ATI's trackrecord of producing good drivers is not good
> either (maybe this will change now that they are owned by AMD), so I'd
> also really recommend going NVidia.

I cannot argue against nVidia when it comes to being the "preferred
mythtv solution". Clearly it is. Still, I also decided to shun nVidia
and go with an ATI card for my recent purchase. I picked up  fan less
X1600Pro from Giga-byte to use in my soon to be FE/BE box.

I wanted a video card that could handle the future OpenGL
requirements of MythTV menus. I also wasn't worried about needing
XvMC for playback since I have a beefy-by-mythtv standards E6600 CPU
on order as well. I really liked what I read about for AVIVO support
ATI has in their 1K series and with the new TexturedVideo option in
the latest Linux ATI driver it appears that it'll work for any Xv
playback capable application. Lastly, I just think that nVidia kisses
Microsoft's ass to much :)

Still, ATI drivers aren't always as easy to setup as the nVidia
drivers. Or, that is to say, it seems to be easier finding nVidia
driver packages and documentation than it does for the ATI drivers.
If you go with ATI, be prepared to learn a bit and have to fiddle
around with stuff.

As for which card, check out AnandTech's recent silent video card
review at http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2825

--
Scott