[mythtv-users] SPDIF *and* analog Sound at the same time?

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Sat Sep 2 21:30:54 UTC 2006

HI!

I'd like to get ac3 sound directly out of SPDIF digital out, but at the
same time analog out of the normal output.

So far, I have only found examples of .asoundrc to get one *or* the other.

If someone has this working, please post the relevant part of your
.asoundrc and also which card you are using. I have at the moment a
Soundblaster Live 5.1, but I would probably buy a new card, if necessary.

The reason:
For normal TV shows, that are broadcast in mp2 or ac3 2 channel, I
normally use the standard TV speakers (analog) and the amplifier is off.
For movies or sports in ac3 5.1, I'd like to use the SPDIF digital
output directly to my 5.1 amplifier.
And I do not want to reconfigure each time the output in MythTV for
watching one type or the other.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thomas