[mythtv-users] PAL AND NTSC Supported Tuner

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 16 14:40:19 UTC 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 7:57 AM, James Fowler wrote:

> I have gone through the goldfish archive and searched the user list
> archive on Gossamer-Threads. I cannot find what I am looking for:
>
> A tuner that will
>      1) work with Myth
>      2) that supports both NTSC and PAL signals.
>
> I move around frequently to different parts of the world. My TV
> only does NTSC. I need a tuner that will let me handle whatever
> signal is available and watch it on my NTSC TV, along with the rest
> of my collection.
>
> I would love to pay the extra and have hardware MPEG encoding, I
> can live without it though.
>
> Is there a single tuner I can buy? Is it possible to have a PAL and
> an NTSC turner working simultaneously under Myth?

I should have mentioned that in order to convert a PAL signal to NTSC
you have two basic options: You can convert the file after recording,
but that takes time and CPU cycles and you could not watch it live on
an NTSC set.

The other option is a real-time standards converter, these used to
cost over $10,000 but I understand they can now be had for a few
hundred USDs.

Also, what about if you wind up in France or some other place that
uses SECAM (System Essentially Contrary to the American Method) ??
Some real-time converters can handle that as well, for additional
cost of course.