[mythtv-users] protocol version mismatch, what's the best solution?

Rick ve1gn at nb.sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 3 22:43:00 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Alexander Fisher wrote:

>>> The point is, no release has been made other than 0.20.  If someone is
>>> tracking an SVN branch, even -fixes (as many package maintainers are),
>>> they are tracking a pre-release.  It is then reasonable to expect that
>>> things are not necessarily compatible until an official release.
>>>

>> Are you suggesting that 0.20-fixes will become compatible again with
>> 0.20 in the future?
>>

> No.  I'm saying that 0.20.1 (which 0.20-fixes is a *pre-release* of)
> will be compatible with itself just as 0.20 is compatible with 0.20.
>
>> I think package maintainers are tracking the fixes branch out of
>> necessity.  The actual 0.20 release was never going to be especially
>> defect free without a longish period of testing, release candidates
>> etc.
>>

> It is their choice and they can deal with the consequences.  No release
> is defect free.
>
>> I'm not sure myth would benefit much from release candidates, but in
>> lieu of a perfect, bug free release, a fixes branch is very welcome.
>> Its just a bit of a shame it now contains more than just 'fixes'.
>>

> You can stop spreading that rumor.  The fix required a protocol change.
> Plain and simple.  If you keep your systems at the same revision, you
> will *never* have a problem.   The problem here is people upgrading half
> their system to a pre-release version and then wondering why it breaks.
>
> Kevin

None of this explains why a yum update and smart update upgrade on the
appropriate machines running the same os, Fedora,  one after the other
gives the protocol mismatch on the backend (for me at least).  Surely
this is the exact way one is to update a system via the packages.  It
didn't work and still doesn't work. Everything looks fine but obviously
I've got a problem somewhere, just can't find it.  I'd say the main
problem is that a lot of us are simple folk, brainy enough to get it
working but throw a little curve ball at us and we're stumped.  A lot of
us semi-literate linux users got caught upgrading because we thought we
should be upgrading to the "fixes" that should be fixing not breaking
things.  If it weren't so much fun I'd cry.

Rick