[mythtv-users] protocol version mismatch, what's the best solution?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Oct 3 22:05:32 UTC 2006

Alexander Fisher wrote:
> On 03/10/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
>
>> Alexander Fisher wrote:
>>
>>> I think, (rightly or wrongly), most people made the assumption that
>>> all versions from the 0.20 branch would be compatible.  This would be
>>> true whether the version was an official point release such as 0.20.1,
>>> or taken straight from svn (0.20 fixes branch).
>>>
>>> Under such a scheme, if the fix was critical and unavoidable, a 0.21
>>> release would be required, (and a separate branch for this release
>>> would be created before committing the fix).  Alternatively, perhaps a
>>> workaround that didn't involve a protocol change was possible for the
>>> fixes branch whilst the proper fix could have been made in svn trunk?
>>>

>> The point is, no release has been made other than 0.20.  If someone is
>> tracking an SVN branch, even -fixes (as many package maintainers are),
>> they are tracking a pre-release.  It is then reasonable to expect that
>> things are not necessarily compatible until an official release.
>>

> Are you suggesting that 0.20-fixes will become compatible again with
> 0.20 in the future?

No.  I'm saying that 0.20.1 (which 0.20-fixes is a *pre-release* of)
will be compatible with itself just as 0.20 is compatible with 0.20.
> I think package maintainers are tracking the fixes branch out of
> necessity.  The actual 0.20 release was never going to be especially
> defect free without a longish period of testing, release candidates
> etc.

It is their choice and they can deal with the consequences.  No release
is defect free.
> I'm not sure myth would benefit much from release candidates, but in
> lieu of a perfect, bug free release, a fixes branch is very welcome.
> Its just a bit of a shame it now contains more than just 'fixes'.

You can stop spreading that rumor.  The fix required a protocol change.
Plain and simple.  If you keep your systems at the same revision, you
will *never* have a problem.   The problem here is people upgrading half
their system to a pre-release version and then wondering why it breaks.

Kevin