[mythtv-users] protocol version mismatch, what's the best solution?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Oct 4 00:01:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 07:43:00PM -0300, Rick wrote:
> None of this explains why a yum update and smart update upgrade on the
> appropriate machines running the same os, Fedora,  one after the other
> gives the protocol mismatch on the backend (for me at least).  Surely
> this is the exact way one is to update a system via the packages.

Indeed, that's the proper way. Assuming that you don't have any funny
options with exclude/include/flagging/pinning/repo weiging or any
mechanism that can be summarized as selective/partial then the only
thing that you may be missing is a restart of the frontend and/or
backend.

The package upgrades won't do that for you as you may be recording or
watching a show at that time. So the proper procedure is

a) one of
   - yum update
   - smart upgrade --update
   - apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
b) (re)start backend
c) (re)start frontend

> It didn't work and still doesn't work. Everything looks fine but
> obviously I've got a problem somewhere, just can't find it.

First of all see from the error message which one of the two are
running the old protocol and restart that process.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net