[mythtv-users] problem using 2nd capture card

Jos Bouten jsbouten at pn.nl
Mon May 29 06:37:54 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:

>On May 28, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Jos Bouten wrote:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>I am running mythtv on FC4: 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 on an i686 athlon i386
>>GNU/Linux
>>I've got 2 Hauppauge PVR 150's who are detected by the drivers (see
>>below).
>>When installing the second card this is how I configured it: I plugged
>>it in, added a capture card, hooked it up via the input connections
>>screen of the setup program and configured its channels via mysql.
>>I have been able to watch tv via card 0 and 1, can switch from 0 to 1
>>and back and also can use PIP nicely.
>>But if I schedule 2 recordings that overlap in time, the first
>>recording
>>is often (not always) stopped as soon as the starting time for the
>>second is reached. So it seems that the system 'thinks' it has only
>>one
>>capture card available (or at least most of the time). Another
>>probably
>>related problem is that sometimes I can and sometimes I can not
>>watch tv
>>while the system is making a recording but the odd thing is:
>>sometimes I
>>can. In the latter situation also it seems that there is only one card
>>available.
>>It may be that I missed something while configuring the 2nd capture
>>card
>>and that this is easily solved, but I've not been able to do so myself
>>nor did I find anything similar in the mailing archives.
>>Any suggestions?

Dear Brian,
Thx for your reply !

>Clearly Myth knows about the second card, or you would not be able to
>use PiP ever, or switch between cards etc.
>
>You said that you configured the channels via mysql, if you mean you
>went into mysql manually it's hard to know

Yep that's what I did. I think I remember that using a self tuning
approach or something similar didn't work when I did the first card so I
entered the channel frequencies by hand.

> what you have set up, why
>not configure the channels using mythsetup, the way you presumably
>set up the first card?

Ok, I'll give it another try.

>If Myth has faulty information about what channels the second card
>can receive this might explain your problems. Also have a look at the
>priority you have set for the cards, as this can affect Myth's choice

I know of a recording priority but the only thing I found in the
database that seems to have something to do with card priorities is a
field called 'preference' in the cardinput table. This is set to 1 for
card 1 and to 0 for card 2.

>of a capture card. If your "overlaps" are created by having set the

With overlaps I meant the 'hard' program times like prog1 start = 10:00
(duration = 1 hrs) and prog2 start = 10:30.

>system to start early or stop late these are "soft" times, and will
>be over-ridden if the system thinks it needs a certain card for a
>recording.

Any thoughts on the warning the drivers produce and is this related to
the problem I'm experiencing?
They always show this message (excerpt of /var/log/messages):
ivtv0 warning: Encoder

Firmware can be buggy, use version 0x02040011 or 0x02050032.

Is it possible to flash the firmware and is it something I should do ?