[mythtv-users] problem using 2nd capture card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 29 14:34:22 UTC 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 12:37 AM, Jos Bouten wrote:

>> You said that you configured the channels via mysql, if you mean you
>> went into mysql manually it's hard to know
>>
> Yep that's what I did. I think I remember that using a self tuning
> approach or something similar didn't work when I did the first card
> so I
> entered the channel frequencies by hand.
>
>> what you have set up, why
>> not configure the channels using mythsetup, the way you presumably
>> set up the first card?
>>

> Ok, I'll give it another try.
>
>> If Myth has faulty information about what channels the second card
>> can receive this might explain your problems. Also have a look at the
>> priority you have set for the cards, as this can affect Myth's choice
>>

> I know of a recording priority but the only thing I found in the
> database that seems to have something to do with card priorities is a
> field called 'preference' in the cardinput table. This is set to 1 for
> card 1 and to 0 for card 2.

Unless there is a quality difference between the cards you would
normally want to set the preference to be the same for both cards,
otherwise the scheduler might jiggle things around in order to use
the "preferred" card.

>> of a capture card. If your "overlaps" are created by having set the
>>

> With overlaps I meant the 'hard' program times like prog1 start =
> 10:00
> (duration = 1 hrs) and prog2 start = 10:30.

Have a look into Michael's suggestion. I think most if not all of
your problems are related to not having set up the card through the
mythsetup process.

One thing that has bit a lot of folks, you have to go through the
entire mythsetup process, if you exit out with an ESC or the like
your changes will not get stored.

>> system to start early or stop late these are "soft" times, and will
>> be over-ridden if the system thinks it needs a certain card for a
>> recording.
>>

> Any thoughts on the warning the drivers produce and is this related to
> the problem I'm experiencing?
> They always show this message (excerpt of /var/log/messages):
> ivtv0 warning: Encoder
>
> Firmware can be buggy, use version 0x02040011 or 0x02050032.
>
> Is it possible to flash the firmware and is it something I should do ?

The firmware is loaded by the system from the location(s) specified
by the file "firmware.agent", normally located in /etc/hotplug.
Changing the F/W file in that location would change what got loaded
into the card. The firmware is not "flashed" into the card in the
manner of a mobo BIOS or the like, but is loaded each time at
initialization.