[mythtv-users] LIRC Problems on nForce3 Mobo ??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 20 21:21:43 UTC 2006

OK, I haven't worried about LIRC because I'm using a Gyration
keyboard that works great.

But now I want to get a serial IR Blaster working and I apparently
need LIRC. I figure I should get it working wiht the remote before I
go further.

The system is MythDora 2.0, and it works like a champ with only two
problems, one of which is that LIRC doesn't work. The lirc character
device does not get created, and thus LIRC dies.

The following modules are loaded:

i2c_algo_bit
i2c_nforce2
i2c_core

i2c_dev does not load itself, I'm not sure if it is needed.

The following RPMs are installed:

rpm -qa | grep lirc
lirc-lib-0.8.0-54_cvs20060107.rhfc4.at
lirc-kmdl-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4-0.8.0-55.rhfc4.at
lirc-0.8.0-55.rhfc4.at
lirc-devices-0.7.0-1.rhfc4.at
lirc-lib-devel-0.8.0-54_cvs20060107.rhfc4.at

The system has 3 PVR-150s and a PVR-150MCE, I know the MCE card
doesn't have a remote but the other cards do and that fact is
recognized by IVTV at boot.

So my question is, does anyone have a MythDora or FC4 system running
with an nForce-3 motherboard and a working Hauppauge LIRC remote. If
so, what modules are loaded, and what might your modprobe.conf file
look like ??

I had this box running KnoppMyth with a VIA-based mobo. I changed the
mobo (to get more PCI slots) and I *think* the remote stopped working
then, but I later moved to Mythdora, so the problem might be with the
nForce-3 chipset, but I would think that a lot of folks are using
that type of board so ... ???

Alternatively, if anyone knows how to get an IR Blaster working
without LIRC that would be good. I would think that all you would
need would be a simple program to write to the serial port, but every
setup I've seem seems to require LIRC for some reason.

Thanks as always.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org