[mythtv-users] Connecting to my TV

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 18:57:21 UTC 2006

--- Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net> wrote:

> Shawn wrote:
> > You'll need to install the latest NVIDIA driver as
> Myth User said
> > previously.  I've attached a copy of my xorg.conf
> file for you to use.
> > This file is located in /etc/X11/.  I have the
> same EXACT graphics card
> > (FX5500), but I'm not using 1080i resolution.
> This should get you
> > started, and at least get your X-Server running.
> >
> > Caveat: In the last section "Server Layout", I
> have specified "LCD" as
> > the monitor to use.  You'll want to change this
> value to "TV" to take
> > advantage of the S-video output on your card.
> >
> Thanks for the help, but still struggling with this.
> Don't know if
> perhaps the nVidia driver I need is indeed installed
> after I followed
> their instruction for installing on my SuSE 10.0
> distro. I followed the
> steps for updating via YaST (the SuSE control
> panel). I downloaded the
> latest patch via YaST as suggested and restarted the
> PC with what I
> believe to be an accurate xorg.conf file with your
> help Shawn. However,
> the nVidia site also mentions 'People who aren't
> afraid of recompiling
> the nvidia kernel module or even reinstalling the
> nvidia driver each
> time the kernel has been updated and want or need to
> use the latest and
> greatest nvidia driver can use the following steps
> 1-3', which is
> running the install script. I am downloading the
> kernel source now and
> will give that a try...do you think this is what I'm
> lacking? The latest
> and greatest? Or should the patch update have done
> it. I took Shawn's
> file and brought over my mouse and keyboard settings
> and other misc
> settings from Files, see attached. Also, I've
> attached my latest Xorg
> log (with some snips to get the size down for this
> list), I'm wondering
> why these mode problems and options are not being
> used - '(WW) NV(0):
> Option "TVStandard" is not used'?
>
> --
> Robert

<Xorg information snipped>

You are using the Xorg nVidia driver (NV), not the
nVidia binary driver (NVIDIA).  The Xorg driver
doesn't support many of the things that the nVidia
driver does.

I've never dealt with installing the nVidia driver on
SuSE, so I can't help you there, other than to say,
read the documentation and install the download from
their website.

-- Joe