[mythtv-users] Best Sat receiver for Dish Network

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 8 21:22:14 UTC 2006

On 03/08/2006 04:17 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> My Dish Network receiver does get several HD channels and outputs
> them via component analog or HDMI digital, but only on the first
> channel of a two-channel receiver.

But, as today's general-purpose processors struggle to /decode/ HDTV in
real-time, there's no way you could /encode/ HDTV in real-time without
some specialized equipment using application specific processors.

> It can record HD as well, storing up to 24 hours of 1080i content.

But, it won't output that HDTV for you to put on your Myth box.

> As for the quality of the HD programming, that's another problem,
> DiscoveryHD is the only thing I have found to be worth watching, but
> I suppose if I were a sports fan there would be more.

Agreed!  And, if I can't get DiscoveryHD into my Myth box, I don't want
it.  :)

Mike