[mythtv-users] Best Sat receiver for Dish Network

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 8 21:17:24 UTC 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 2:11 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Raphael Pooser wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Good because that's all you'll get from a satellite system
>>> (unless you
>>> feel running a Windows box to convert 169time's proprietary firewire
>>> output into MPEG-2 that can be fed to your Myth box is actually
>>> acceptable).
>>>

>> Really, you can't get HD from Dish Network?  I thought these dish
>> companies did have some HD channels.  Does that leave the only HD
>> stuff
>> coming through digital cable and OTA (non satellite, like
>> terrestrial)?
>>

> In short: Yes, you're limited to OTA or cable (that's QAM, right?).

No no no. I think there is some out-of-date info around here.

My Dish Network receiver does get several HD channels and outputs
them via component analog or HDMI digital, but only on the first
channel of a two-channel receiver.

It can record HD as well, storing up to 24 hours of 1080i content.

As for the quality of the HD programming, that's another problem,
DiscoveryHD is the only thing I have found to be worth watching, but
I suppose if I were a sports fan there would be more.