[mythtv-users] FC4: Nova-T Backend, Via M10000 Frontend. BBC1 Jerky?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Mar 7 20:58:37 UTC 2006

Steve Daniels wrote:
>>> Works like a dream!
>>>
>>> Thanks again Axel,
>>>
>>> Down to 20% CPU usage now!
>>>

>> Sorry for being slow but what fixed it?
>> Did you need to get a different package?
>>
>> --
>
> Axel noted that he had rebuilt his packages at the beginning of the weekend
> IIRC, to include Via XVMC support. So I just did "yum upgrade" on my
> Frontend's and Backend's and enabled Via XVMC as the MPEG2 decoder for my
> M10000 Frontend in its settings. Then everything just worked. Haven't
> watched a lot of BBC1 yet, but it seems fine now.

For those who have not looked into it, the configure script is designed
to deal with the user setting all sorts of things on (--enabled) but it
will not actually configure the build to use that switch if the headers
or libraries or wrapper are not present. So you can specify --enable-xv
and xvmc, xcmv-pro and xvmc-vld and configure will use what your system
can actually make use of.

But that also means that is is a non-trivial exercise to build the rpms
as Axel does, because either those headers etc. have to exist on the
system he is building on, or he has to create individual specific
Makefiles for each version. We tend to not remember how much work is
hiding, un-noticed in a site full of tar-balls or rpms.

Many thanks are due to Axel!

G.

--
        R. Geoffrey Newbury