[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Jul 31 01:19:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 01:16:48AM -0700, Brad Templeton wrote:
>    However, the
> code to play a file before assembly would need to be fancier and able
> to play the pre-assembled fragments, and even deal with their removal
> during play, which seems a mess.

> I still suspect just considering adjacent programs as a special mini
> playback group, so you can ff/rew between them, is the easiest solution
> to code.

The code required to manage a single file containing two separate
recordings will be a mess.  The code required to schedule the creation
of such a file will be a bit of a mess.  Such a file will have
side-effects that need to be addressed in the auto-expiry code, etc.

Even *if* that solution turns out to be the easiest to code, it
also offers practically nothing in the way of reusable capabilities.

I think in the long term it won't be the easiest to code because
the side effects will be like tentacles that reach into other parts
of Myth and cause breakage.  The time saved on initial design will
be instead spent on modifying and debugging unrelated sections of
the program.

I just hope there's an option to disable it.

FWIW, my solution would also involve a lot of rewriting.  The
difference is that my method would treat all recordings the same
way, so there would be no need to have if(RecordingsInThisFile>1)
sprinkled all through the system.