[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Jul 30 08:16:48 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:08:19PM -0700, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> The main argument against recording in fragments is that some
> people want to be able to copy a monolithic file to another machine
> for non-Myth playback and don't want to have to export the file
> first.  While I understand the convenience that offers *to those
> people*, I'm not very sympathetic.  Do you think the MySQL people
> seriously considered storing the SQL data in ASCII files so people
> could view it using vi?  The point is that from a purist
> perspective an application should try to maximize its own potential
> before giving up performance for the benefit of external (and often
> unrelated) applications.

Actually, while I think it may not be too hard to just double write,
recording in fragments could be done as a temporary step.  The fragments
would be written out as recorded, and then assembled as soon as any
program using the fragments is complete, deleting fragments when
doing this if their reference count goes to 0.   However, the
code to play a file before assembly would need to be fancier and able
to play the pre-assembled fragments, and even deal with their removal
during play, which seems a mess.

I still suspect just considering adjacent programs as a special mini
playback group, so you can ff/rew between them, is the easiest solution
to code.