[mythtv-users] Radeon or fglrx?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Mon Jul 10 08:30:31 UTC 2006

On Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 09:25:33AM +0200, wouter lists wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a completely dedigated box for mythtv:
> Pentium 4 630 3Ghz
> Ati X300
> Fedora Core 5 x86_64
> Atrpms mythtv
>
> I spent almost a week to find out why this system freezes very often. I
> appears to be the fglrx driver. I tried 3 versions and they all had the
> problem. At random moments, the sytem freezes. This weekend I replaced it
> with the radeon driver included in xorg and livetv was running for more then
> 12 hours without problems. Watching livetv generates a cpu load of 20%.
>
> Now is my question: if the box is not used for anything else then mythtv, is
> there any reason why I should prefer the fglrx driver above the xorg one?
>
> The box will be connected to a tv with a vga-to-scart cable. I'll need some
> custom modelines in xorg.conf. I haven't yet checked if the radeon driver
> support custom modelines, so this could be one reason to switch to fglrx.

Actually, this is a reason you _can't_ use the fglrx drivers - they
don't let you force the dotclock low enough to output direct to TV.
I've been using the radeon driver for over a year now and haven't had
any problems - the new OpenGL-based menus work fine and CPU load is
pretty reasonable.

Cheers,
        Robin
--