[mythtv-users] Radeon or fglrx?

wouter lists wouter.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 07:25:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a completely dedigated box for mythtv:
Pentium 4 630 3Ghz
Ati X300
Fedora Core 5 x86_64
Atrpms mythtv

I spent almost a week to find out why this system freezes very often. I
appears to be the fglrx driver. I tried 3 versions and they all had the
problem. At random moments, the sytem freezes. This weekend I replaced it
with the radeon driver included in xorg and livetv was running for more then
12 hours without problems. Watching livetv generates a cpu load of 20%.

Now is my question: if the box is not used for anything else then mythtv, is
there any reason why I should prefer the fglrx driver above the xorg one?

The box will be connected to a tv with a vga-to-scart cable. I'll need some
custom modelines in xorg.conf. I haven't yet checked if the radeon driver
support custom modelines, so this could be one reason to switch to fglrx.

Thanks,

Wouter