[mythtv-users] Line of garbage at top of screen

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 18:23:35 UTC 2006

Brandon Stoll wrote:
>> Are there any other solutions to this?  I use both HD and analog tv and
>> only the analog has the garbage.  If I use settings in the TV playback
>> screens it effects both analog and HD and so I must compromise garbage
>> at the bottom of my HD channels for clean analog channels and
>> vice-versa.  Also, other video players that I've used (like tvtime)
>> automatically take care of this garbage, why can't myth?
>>

> Can you take a screencap of it? Or does it look anything similar to
> the bars at the top on http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-2.jpg and
> http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-3.jpg ? On QAM channels I see these
> lines on any 4:3 programming and they are rather annoying, and I now
> notice them on analog channels too.  I thought it was something the
> cable company did so their STB can switch for 16:9 and stretched 4:3,
> but my previous post to this list got no responses.  I havn't seen
> this with my TV's built-in tuner, so I assume it is something MythTV
> is suppost to handle that it doesn't.
>
> I see the overscan settings could fix this, but without being able to
> set program-specific overscans it would be cutting off some of
> "normal" broadcasts.  I guess a small price to pay for sanity but
> still.

that's just VBI data. It's in every broadcast. You don't see it on your
regular TV with it's tuner because the mfr sets the overscan so high
that it's not seen. You can too. It's easy to do with the overscan
setting in mythtv frontend>>Utilities/Setup>>Setup>>TV
Settings>>Playback>>Overscan

Set the Vertical over/underscan setting to something small like 2 or 4
and check your video playback. I play both NTSC and ATSC 6:9 and it
works fine.