[mythtv-users] Line of garbage at top of screen

Brandon Stoll mrmagoo at mrmagoo.org
Tue Jan 31 17:30:28 UTC 2006

> Are there any other solutions to this?  I use both HD and analog tv and
> only the analog has the garbage.  If I use settings in the TV playback
> screens it effects both analog and HD and so I must compromise garbage
> at the bottom of my HD channels for clean analog channels and
> vice-versa.  Also, other video players that I've used (like tvtime)
> automatically take care of this garbage, why can't myth?

Can you take a screencap of it? Or does it look anything similar to
the bars at the top on http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-2.jpg and
http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-3.jpg ? On QAM channels I see these
lines on any 4:3 programming and they are rather annoying, and I now
notice them on analog channels too.  I thought it was something the
cable company did so their STB can switch for 16:9 and stretched 4:3,
but my previous post to this list got no responses.  I havn't seen
this with my TV's built-in tuner, so I assume it is something MythTV
is suppost to handle that it doesn't.

I see the overscan settings could fix this, but without being able to
set program-specific overscans it would be cutting off some of
"normal" broadcasts.  I guess a small price to pay for sanity but
still.