[mythtv-users] Guide data setup for mixed ATSC/QAM & NTSC backend? Multiple xmltv feeds needed?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:07:08 UTC 2006

On 1/29/06, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 14:19 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > On 01/29/2006 01:59 PM, Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> > > I am trying to clean up my MythTV configuration a bit.  Part of that
> > > effort is to use a single Zap2it / xmltv guide account, so I can deal
> > You have two Myth video sources, one for SDTV and one for HDTV channels?
>
> What most users do is set up several listings on the same zap2it account
> with slightly different zip codes. So if your neighborhood is in 10023,
> you can use the neighboring neighborhoods 10022, 10024, etc for
> additional listings, since you probably get the same OTA/Cable signals
> as your immediate neighbors.

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't realize that zap2it/xmltv supported multiple
listings per account.   I added a new listing for the few digital channels,
and I think that should be good.   Zap2it had seperate listings for Comcast
Cable & Comcast Digital,  so I didn't need to use another zip code.

The analog channels worked great with the xmltv listings.  mythfill database
automatically found the data for the right channels, since there is no
ambiguity in the frequency / channel number.

The digital / HD channels were not as easy,  the Comcast channel numbers are
in the 700's, but the actual channel frequencies are 79, 116, 117 (two HD
channels per QAM channel).   The scan  showed channels like 2#1 and 2#2, and
for one channel it picked up the PSIP data and used the virtual channel
numbers.    So, I ended up with one set of channels from the scan, and one
set from xmltv, each with partial data.     I edited the mysql database by
hand to make sure all channels had the correct xmltvid, mplexid, atscsrcid,
etc.     But, I'm sure there must be an easier way.