[mythtv-users] Manually enter freq. in database.

Martin Madsen martin at sprithuset.dk
Sat Jan 28 10:46:23 UTC 2006

>On Friday 27 January 2006 23:00, Martin Madsen wrote:
>> Hi Myth-list,
>> I'm using a Hauppauge PVR 350 and MythTV running on a Ubuntu linux.
>> My backend starts fine but I cannot see any channels. (Only snow on the
>> screen)
>> I'm using XMLTV.
>> So I'm looking for a way to put the frequencies into my database manually
>> because the "scan channels" option in mythtv-setup doesn't work (I can't
>> select it.)
>> Anybody knows what to look after in the database and in what format I
>>need
>> to plug in the frequencies? My frequencies are listed on my cable
>> provider's homepage in this format:
>> http://www.tre-for.dk/default.aspx?m=2&i=220
>
>You have to update the columns "freqid" and "finetune" in the table
>"channel".

Ok and the "channum" I can set to what ever I like, depending where I want
the channel when zapping in mythfrontend?

>I had the same problem as you, so I created an Openoffice spreadsheet that
>generates the necessary update statements from something like your web
>page.

That sounds like the way to do it, and I have the info on the page I linked
to en my earlier post. I use PHPMYAdmin to update the data but that
shouldn't matter.

>The idea is that you search the frequency closest to yours in the
>"official"
>list of channels which will give freqid (e.g. 48.250MHz -> E2, 55.250MHz ->

>E3, 62.250MHz -> E4 etc.)

I think you are getting close to my root (not the user :)) problem(s) now.

1. I don't know exactly what number to put under "freqid" under channels in
my database. If the Danish channel "TV2" if running on 175,25MHz will I put
in 175,25 | 17525 | 175250 or something else?

2. I'm a bit confused by the E2, E3 ect. But I suspect them to be channel
numbers like the ones I see when issuing "ivtv-tune -l" at the very end of
the list. Sadly when I issue the command "ivtv-tune -l" it shows the
"us-cable" channels/frequencies. I should be able to change that by issuing
"ivtv-tune -t europe-west" but still the "ivtv -l" shows "us-cable" at the
top of the list. Now I don't know if this is important but I would rather be
sure since I have struggled all week with myth. :)

>and then calculate
>finetune = (<your freq> - <official freq>) * 16
>If you are interested, I can send you the spreadsheet or give all the
>details
>if you prefer to use a different tool.
>Tom

Ok in your calculation you use "official freq" which I think is the one on
www.tre-for.dk but "your freq" is a little hard to find since I haven't been
able to find a utility that is able to scan for channels on my PVR 350.

Thankyou very much for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

Best Regards
Martin