[mythtv-users] Potential IPTV additions for Myth

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:36:31 UTC 2006

Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 1/26/06, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:

>>> I'm proposing that, for those people who have an IPTV television
>>> provider.
>>>
>> You're also proposing the same thing you've been proposing for quite a while
>> now.  Seems to be rather less productive than actually working on code.
>>

> I realise that, but the extent of my C/C++ knowledge is:
>
> #include <iostream.h>
>
> void main() {
>    printf("Hello World/n");
> }
>

> I'm looking to see what I can do, trying to learn C and C++ so I can
> contribute more to this project, and digging up all the information
> that I can, so that someone with greater skill in development can put
> something together, rather than waiting for me to learn C (by which
> time Myth will be at version 3.93).
>
> I am willing to undertake this myself, if no-one else is willing. But
> for those who would like (Or need) this functionality, I'd recommend
> they don't hold their breath.
>
> So, on a related note, does anyone have any good C/C++ training
> materials, and any kind of reference for the Myth codebase?
>
> Thanks in Advance.
> --
> Robert "Anaerin" Johnston

Good C book by Dietel called _C, How to Program_ (hey that's kind of a
pun).  But get the second edition.  The third and fourth and who knows
where they are now maybe fifth, are not as good.  As for the second
edition I couldn't put it down when I got it.  This book is written for
an undergrad start to C and general programming principles.  Basically,
if they weren't teaching Pascal back when I was in undergrad, this book
would have been used for "Programming in C, 101" or what have you (well,
it is used now).  Also, when you're done it'll introduce C++ for you in
the last quarter to third of the book.  This was a good place to start
for me.  The type of coding I do is all theoretical modeling and the
type of optimization that goes with that type of coding.  Making mythtv
plugins is a whole different business I guess.  This is just to say,
that's what I do, and I started C in that book.  The book itself has no
inclinations one way or the other though, so afterwards you can do what
you want.  Beyond that I can't help because I have no clue what kind of
work goes into mythtv code - I have not scrutinized the code of all
parts very closely.  Even the code for the drivers for my ati remote
sort of confuses me.  But you have to start somewhere and first you need
to know how to code, so I reccommend that book.  Oh, the publisher is
Prentice Hall.
Raphael