[mythtv-users] Questions about Upcoming 0.19

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:22:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 11:43 -0400, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
> > 2. Any thoughts on adding a checkbox to use "classic mode" LiveTV instead of the new version?
>
>  Very doubtful. The old code is no longer there, and it makes no sense
> to support two implementations.
>
> > I did a quick test on the SVN version about two weeks ago, and found that my disk subsystem was thrashing a lot more frequently than with 0.18.
>
>  There is nothing about the new implementation of LiveTV that would cause this.
> In the end we are still writting one stream to a file, and reading it back.
> The main difference is the name of the file and if you had livetv on a
> seperate drive the location.

I can relate to the poster's HD "thrashing" with SVN.  I updated to
gentoo's ebuild, revision 8664 & encounter some funky things with live
tv.

I have 5 drives setup as LVM.  From what I have deduced, the computer
can handle 2 SD & 1 HD recording at the same time, no troubles.  I can
even comm flag and netboot from this machine.  Now if someone decides to
watch Live TV (which some of my roomates don't want to get wheened off
of), it seems that myth decides to take about 90% cpu usage for the
backend for no real purpose.  I haven't  broken down what about live tv
does it, as its pretty random.  This causes lots of jumping in
recordings running conncurrently or even that live tv viewing.  The
problem goes away as soon as some (not necessarily all) of the live tv
recordings are manually deleted or auto expired.

It's really weird.  I'm not even sure what verbose logging to enable on
the backend to start to figure it out.